I am so tired. I love traveling. I love the excitement of the unknown, getting on a plane not really sure about what is going to happen. Much as I love going somewhere new, I hate leaving before I'm ready. I hate leaving when I haven't said goodbye to everyone. I hate saying goodbye to people I don't want to leave behind. But there are some things that must be sacrificed in the name of adventure--strength of old friendships, the familiarity and safety of home, a way out. But as soon as you step onto that airplane, theres no escape. You're stuck, no choice. With something seemingly so simple as going away to school, it can be hard to make that choice, take that risk. I just finished a book in which the main character was prescribed by her therapist to do one thing a day that scares her (I think its also an Eleanor Roosevelt quote). I sort of think thats necessary. I like scaring myself. Otherwise I wouldn't like jumping off forty five foot cliffs. Thats still by far the scariest and yet most rewarding experience I ever intentionally put myself though. If you've never jumped off a cliff into a river, I highly, highly, highly recommend it. So I don't know what I did today that was so scary, but I guess picking up and leaving, knowing I wouldn't be home for another five months is a slightly intimidating and difficult decision. I don't really know how to keep scaring myself. All I know is that a life of total security is way too boring, theres a certain magic to taking risks, etc, etc. I'll stop preaching.
My original point was, I'm back at school and I'm jet lagged. It can be so hard to sleep on airplanes. So now I'm back and I'm forcing myself to stay awake until 9:30. I got myself addicted to that Winterbells game. The music is just so peaceful and relaxing, and there is really a great sense of freefall watching that bunny plummet earthwards when you lose. At first I was kind of disappointed there was no blood when he landed, but then I decided I was being morbid and that the game is way too peaceful for that. So yeah. I got back to Switzerland. I unpacked. I took a shower. I fell asleep. I got up and went to dinner, then came back to my room and played Winterbells. Absolutely thrilling way to start the semester, don't you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
*is attempting to resist trying the game and to finish my 20 bio workpages...*
Hey! I've read that book! Meg Cabot was definitely on crack when she wrote it, no? Considering she made all of the things that you'd think she would NEVER do to Mia happen...
Post a Comment