Monday, September 10, 2007

This is me.

So yesterday I ranted about how beautiful Switzerland is. Today I am going to rant about all the things I can DO in Switzerland.
So, school requires that we are involved in at least two after-school physical activities. Many of my friends would say, ugg, sports... but the list is amazing. Here's just a sampling of the best activities I've considered doing: Rock Climbing, Bouldering, ski conditioning, cross training, running club (formerly cross country, but with no meets), track, ultimate frisbee, curling (I know! where else am I going to have an opportunity to curl??), hiking, avalanche awareness, slack line/hiking/ bouldering combo...the list goes on, and thats just for fall activities. As soon as ski season starts there will be weekend trips to Zermatt and Gstaad and all those other amazing places, and I'll get Tuesday and Thursday afternoons off to ski, not to mention free weekends...I'll probably be on the hill three or four days a week. Maybe I'll make the ski team, otherwise there is a possibility of doing patrol or "Ski Ambassador' and I can get my Swiss Ski School Certification! None of these cool things were offered back home. Maybe that's why I was so bored--there were no activities (aside from cross country) that really turned me on.
In addition to all of those, there are these amazing weekend trips.
I spent the past two days riding a bike from Aigle to Lausanne and back, along Lake Geneva. Riding through the vinyards between Vevey and Ouchy, looking down on the perfect crystal-clear blueness of the lake, dotted with sailboats, with green mountains soaring in the oh-so-close background... it was paradise (see picture above). Couple that with the thrill of flying down through the vinyards on a bicycle, on a perfectly clear blue-sky day, not too hot but just warm enough that you start sweating, with the breeze flying in under your helmet...The only activities that have ever made me feel so great are surfing, skiing, and jumping off forty-five foot cliffs. You should try it some time. Maybe its about the thrill and the beauty of my surroundings, but something about it makes me feel alive. Yeah, I've said all this before.
But anyway, next weekend there is a trip to climb Dents Du Midi, but unfortunately I didn't sign up in time and the trip was already full with an uber-long waiting list. Maybe next time... And then the weekend after that my "family" (a group of three teachers and about ten students that become our "family" for the rest of the year) is going to Zermatt, unfortunately not during ski season, but it will still be great... and there will be trips somewhere almost every weekend. Too bad IB is going to limit how much I can do. It's enough to make me consider dropping down to certificates instead of full diploma, but I don't want to be bored in any of my classes. I'm already dying of boredom in HL chem. Sig Figs and unit conversions were easier than pi the first time around, the second time it is torture. TORTURE, I tell you. And we aren't supposed to be getting to Lewis Dot Structures until the spring. I was hoping that we'd be reviewing it within the next few weeks. But I'm not here to rant about how much chemistry sucks, I'm here to rant about all the amazing things I can do in Switzerland. My point being: the opportunities are endless, and everyone should come visit me so I can take you to go do coolio things.
Love,
Sarah

No comments: