Saturday, September 22, 2007

Matters Of The Matterhorn

I just got back from a weekend in Zermatt, which is possibly the most majestic and beautiful place I've ever visited, aside from perhaps Wengen. And they have year round skiing, which makes it complete paradise. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go skiing, but had to silently suffer as all the racers came sauntering through town with their skis and boots over their shoulders. It was the definition of jealousy. I can't wait until it starts snowing and ski season gets going and I can ski four times a week. I'll be in heaven.
Anyway, back to Zermatt. Zermatt is thehome of the Matterhorn, the most famous mountain in Switzerland (just look at the Toblerone box!) Theres this train (the GornergratBahn) that goes up the valley across from the Matterhorn, and has the most spectacular and impressive views. Your depth perception gets all messed up, because the mountains appear really close, but when you look at the lack of detail on the glaciers you realize how far away they are, which makes them seem twice as big. Its crazy. Everyone back home thinks that the Alps are small. But, as a matter of fact, the Matterhorn is 4478m (~14,690 ft), but the base (Zermatt) is only 1620m (~5315 ft), which is only slightly higher than Denver. But Colorado Mountains don't start in Denver, they start at 2700m (~9000ft). Therefore, the Alps are bigger than the Rockies. End of story. Aside from great mountains, Zermatt has good food, and amazing crepes. Crepes make the world go round (ok, not quite, but close enough.) Crepes with chocolate and powdered sugar, crepes with ham and cheese, crepes with lingonberry jam and ice cream (although thats a Scandinavian thing, not Swiss)... Crepes are just amazing. As are Gaufres (waffles) with chocolate and ice cream. They are sweet waffles, not breakfast waffles... and then theres ice cream and chocolate mousse and all matter of other delicious, fattening foods that will come back and kick my metabolism's butt one of these days. Oh well. Live life to its fullest, and forget about its problems, right?

No comments: