Sunday, September 16, 2007

Six Degrees

There's a theory that everyone in the world is connected to every other person in the world by six or fewer degrees of separation. It is sort of mind boggling, and the more people I meet, the more convinced I am that its true.
If you think about it mathematically, it make perfect sense...
There are 6.5 billion people in the world, and lets say that each person has a network of friends/family/acquaintances/teachers/etc that has at least fifty people that the majority of their friends DON'T know. I'm assuming this is fair, considering the majority of my friends have over fifty friends just on Facebook, and that doesn't even begin to count all the people anyone knows. So lets just say 50. So, I have fifty people in my circle. Each of them has fifty people in their circle...Its exponential. Fifty to the sixth power is 8.3 billion people, within six degrees of separation. But almost everyone knows more than fifty people!
So, six degrees...think about it. Play with your brain.

Sarah

1 comment:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

I was surprised at how many people I knew a few months after I joined MySpace -- you're right, everyone probably knows more than 50 people!

I came across your blog via Google's blogsearch (I'm a flutist, too) =)