Wednesday, August 8, 2007

On Day Two...

On day two, Sarah decided she was bored and got angry at her blog because its connected to her Google account. Don't get me wrong, I love my Google stuff, but I have two accounts. So I can only be logged into one at a time, otherwise use two browsers and IE makes me angry...So Sarah figured out how to attach BOTH Google accounts to this blog. In other words, Sarah now has an alter ego. Which is great, because then she can act like Gollum and argue with herself (like she doesn't anyway). And then Sarah decided that third person was confusing and she made a mental note only to use it on special occasions.
So last night, I couldn't get to sleep, and I started thinking about Harry Potter, which I had just finished reading for the bazillionth time, and at the same time I was thinking about Lord of the Rings which I had just watched for the bazillionth time (I have an alter ego, so the two halves of my brain can be thinking totally different things at the same time...) and then whaddayaknow! I got confused. Suddenly Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were merged and it dawned on me how much J.K. Rowling stole from J.R.R. Tolkein, (I will post a somewhat complete-ish list at some point). So I started thinking and used that big black void inside my cranium and pulled out some random bits of information that I picked up somewhere and started thinking about how much both of them stole from Greek and Norse and Roman and other mythologies. But then I realized the things JKR stole from Tolkein weren't the things that both of them got out of myths. So then I convinced myself that JKR was a thief. And if JKR, who is undoubtedly one of the most creative authors of all time, is a thief, then there must not be any such thing as creativity. I know, DI blasphemy. But really, hasn't almost everything been thought of before? OK, so there are things like technology that keep getting better, but better rarely turns into new. And when it does, it takes people like Einstein who just happen to divide one equation by another and come up with the speed of light, and then from which create the theory of relativity. Or something like that. I don't really know what Einstein was doing. I can pretend. Its called BS. Thank God IB taught me that skill. Anyway, its sort of like sheer dumb luck combined with a high IQ. Eventually we have to stumble across something new. So, human brains have no such thing as creativity. I mean, evolutionarily we don't need creativity. Yeah, back when we were cavemen it might have been a little more useful. But really, I think we're just good at stumbling across those little nifty tricks that nature threw at us. None of it depends on brain power. Sometimes it takes and IQ above 100 to recognize those tricks...but thats besides the point. And what this has to do with J.K. Rowling being a thief I don't know.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Ouch, you just gave me a dose of TOK before I absolutely needed it. Thanks.

And duh I'm reading your blog, I'm just comment-challenged. It's been a while since I used anything but LJ.