Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cravings

I'm not just craving Kataluma. There are some foods that are just plain impossible to get in Swiss Boarding schools. There are some foods that better be in the house when I get home (note-Mom-shopping list!!).

Bagels, for one. I haven't had a bagel since August. Right now, I want one with cinnamon-sugar and cream cheese, or blueberry with strawberry cream cheese. I miss the Bagelry.

Squash. I want butternut squash.

Ice cream with stuff in it. All you can get in most of Europe is plain flavors. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, etc. Swiss ice cream is much creamier than American ice cream, and now I know why. They put lactase in it. Lactose makes ice cream grainier, so by breaking it down with lactase, you get nice, smooth lactose-free ice cream. Benefit for those of us who are (supposedly) lactose intolerant (although I really don't think I am because I've been pigging out on cheese and yogurt and dairy for the past three months with no problems). But oh, what I'd give for some moose tracks or that coffee with fudge chunks.

Chili. Living in a ski town and not having chili is also a problem. I want some good EDGE chili-the stuff I would fill up on on cold, blizzardy powder day lunches.

The Swiss are masters of chocolate, but somehow they missed out on the peanut part. They've got hazelnuts down to a tee, but something about peanut butter and chocolate didn't fly here. And of course, Swiss candy bars are much different than American ones, so that means no Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Which is bad. VERY BAD. While Bounty is freaking amazing, it can't make up for Reeses.

There were a whole bunch of other things that I can't think of at the moment. Part of what I miss about food in the states is that its cheap. At home, the thought of paying $15 for an entree is really expensive. But here, thats pretty cheap. I miss the $0.99 menus at Wendy's and McDonalds (not like I ate there often), because it sure beats 4 Chf for a burger. OOH! and Chipotle. I haven't had a burrito full of happy goodness since I've left either. The closest I've gotten are Kebabs, which don't seem to exist in the states. Unfortunately. Because they are really good.

I'm getting sick of school. I have fourteen hours total of final exams left, plus a whole bunch of studying, and after that I can sleep. Today school made me miss a great day of skiing. Nobody would go skiing with me because they were studying. STUDYING!! When they could have been skiing. What is wrong with these people? Anyway, I should get back to reviewing math because I have a final tomorrow. crepes.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

..since it snowed here (6' at my house, if that tells you anything...) and I tried to chuck a snowball at Emma, only it didn't work because the snow is PERFECT SKIING POWDER!!! I'm so sad I can't go skiing...unless you want to kidnap me sometime over break and take me up for a day. I can be free Dec 21 (since my only 'finals' that day are off and band...and we all know that S1 band finals=movie)...hint hint.

So yeah. I miss you mucho. But you're back friday/saturday, correct?

Hannah said...

and by 6' I totally meant 6 INCHES, lol. I only wish we got 6'.

Sarah said...

I get back Saturday evening. Still trying to decide if I want to see people that evening or go home and sleep because it will be 1am here and i might be completely jet-lagged. We've been getting dumped on here all weekend, but its not light and fluffy. Swiss snow is a lot wetter than Colorado dry. and at the moment I don't know what days im going skiing. I know I'm supposed to be working a bit over break, so we'll see.

Hannah said...

We're supposed to get another 6" tonight...I think they know you're getting back.

And we should totally hang out after finals...because this weekend is totally spent (world lit paper...and other crap.)