Saturday, November 10, 2007

I <3 The Snow Gods/Goddesses

Its still snowing. I'm in that serene, peaceful, content, untouchable mood. Not even homework can kill it.
By the way, I'm not really sure why my blog seems so depressing because my life is really quite amazing. Maybe I'm just more likely to write when I'm having a slightly bad day. I've been under a lot of IB stress over the past two weeks, so maybe thats had an influence. Things are picking up though, and after Monday things shouldn't be so tough.
Last night I went for a walk with two of my friends. We were all bundled up, in warm jackets and hats and fuzzy mittens, and we made snow angels and had a snowball fight. Then we went and stood under a street lamp and stared upwards. It you've never looked straight up into a snowstorm at night where all the snowflakes are illuminated against the inky blackness of the sky, you should try it. When you look across at a snowstorm, you see everything from the side, linearly. You see each flake falling from top to bottom, just the way the world works. But when you stand underneath and look up, its like you stop time. You see top and bottom layered on top of each other. The flakes don't fall in the same direction, you see them swirl and float, you can see the wind, no matter how little of it there is, at it changes the direction that the flakes move. It looks like millions of little fish, some changing direction together, others going on their own, all tiny little dashes of white against a black backdrop. It looks like a million shooting stars all at once. And then you stick out your tongue, part your lips a little, and feel the frozen water molecules tingle a little as they melt in your mouth, you close your eyes for a moment and listen to the flakes hitting the ground and feel them melt on your eyelids. You smell the air, because snow has that distinct smell you can't find anywhere else. Maybe its not so much a smell, but its a quality you can only pick up by breathing in snowy air slowly through your nose. And then you go stand by a car when its really really cold, and smell that deisel-ey ester mixed with the icy-ness of the air. Most people hate that smell/sensation/whatever it is, but for me it reminds me of my ski area, the buses, getting there early in the morning before an awesome day of skiing. Its a feeling thats akin to licking a cold metal pole, with your tongue just sticking a little and not getting TOTALLY stuck to it to the point where it really hurts to pull it off. I really am walking in a winter wonderland.
SNOW IS JOY. SNOW IS PEACE. SNOW IS LOVE. SNOW IS LIFE.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm sure you like metal poles often.

Sarah said...

oh yeah! no, the same thing happens with licking other things. like if you've ever tried to zip up a jacket w/ a metal zipper pull with your teeth, or when you lick a super-frozen popsicle and your tongue gets stuck to it... but i've never actually licked a really cold metal POLE.

John said...

was there a double entendre there?