Sunday, November 30, 2008

Boxes

I finally figured out what it is I despise about cities. They're boxes. You live in a box, you work in a box, you take a box-shaped metro to work. The streets are laid out in boxes. Our civilization revolves around boxes. Boxes, boxes, boxes!! Boxes aren't natural. I'm much more a fan of triangles--trees, mountains, tents. I also prefer circles and curves--the side cut on my skis, the sun, the stars. Snowflakes are hexagons--overlapping triangles. You can't make a snowflake out of squares, and you can't sketch a mountain with squares. It explains why I hate being in my room so much--everything comes together at right angles--I've had to cover the walls of my room with ski posters--mountains--to make it inhabitable. At least in Switzerland when I look out the window, most of the buildings have triangle roofs--unique to areas with snow.
So with that, I need to stop pushing these little squares on my square keyboard and square computer, and go do my math homework, where I can play with curves.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

so the other day at DI we were playing apples to apples and we didn't have enough players so we randomly put in a card and then the box got the green card if we picked that card. then joe started playing for the box and the box almost won!!!! it was actually kind of annoying that the box/random stuff could beat us sentient things.

Jessica said...

oh by the way moony is jessica